CODE OF PRACTICE (Revised)
THE INSTITUTE OF REGISTRATION AGENTS & DEALERS IS AN ASSOCIATION OF LEADING REGISTRATION NUMBER COMPANIES IN THE UNITED KINGDOM.
The majority of members deal with the general public direct or through another dealer as agent.
The majority of transactions with the general public are by post, telephone or the internet.
The methods of trading adopted by members are recognised and appreciated by the public as offering the following advantages:
The provision of a comprehensive listing with all-in prices.
The facility to order from home after unhurried consideration and without high pressure salesmanship.
A clear and written statement of Terms & Conditions, available on request from the dealer.
A prompt refund of any money paid if the transfer is not completed within 13 weeks.
Code of practice
1. Members accept an obligation to their customers, the general public and to one another to adopt methods of selling that are consistent with the interests of consumer and the public. of the objectives of which is to deal in the transfer of Registration.
2. The code of practice shall be honoured in both letter and spirit.
3. Members shall endeavour to keep themselves informed of all transfer legislation and, relevant codes of practice.
4. Members must not engage in any professional conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or commit any act that reflects adversely on their or MIRAD’s professional reputation, integrity, or competence.
5. MIRAD reserve the right to change their code of practise and terms at any time without prior notice.
6. An applicant must be an individual or a company, trading in the transfer of Registration Marks for a minimum period of two years.
7. Applications for Membership shall be sent to the Secretary. The Secretary will request two references. If these are acceptable, the secretary will request a joining fee and subscription and grant Probationary Membership.
8. Applications shall then be put before the Membership at the next Annual meeting at which the applicant must attend.
9. Applications for Full Membership shall be decided by a majority vote. Where an application is not successful the Probationary period may be extended for a further year. The Secretary retains the right to make further enquiries into applications at any time and to report back to the MIRAD Executive Committee.
10. Probationary Members may not vote at the Annual meeting until they have been voted Full members.
11. Membership may be revoked at any time if it is determined that a member has not adhered to the MIRAD code of practice. The member will be asked to remove all MIRAD connections to their business within 14 days of notification that their membership has been revoked. MIRAD will retain the Membership fee and will not be liable for any associated fees or costs.
Due Process initiating action to revoke membership may be initiated by a MIRAD member with written specification and documentation of the behaviour which constitutes just cause for revocation of membership.
The member will be contacted in writing in order to respond to the allegation.
The member has 7 days to accept or contest the allegation.
MIRAD executives will decide and conclude the matter within 7 days whether or not the member replies.
12. Advertising shall be clear, truthful and accurate and shall not mislead customers by misrepresenting the Registration Mark being offered. All advertising and promotional material produced by members shall comply with the code drawn up by the Advertising Standards Authority and if broadcast with the code of the Independent Broadcasting Authority insofar as they are applicable.
13. All advertisements shall contain the trading name of the member concerned and the name MIRAD and/or the official MIRAD logo. Statements shall be accurate in content and intention and shall not mislead whether by omission or otherwise.
14. The terms & conditions adopted by members shall be so published as to be easily available to all customers.
15. Members shall endeavour to ensure that literature or price lists are not mailed to minors, that mailing lists are kept as accurate and up to date as practicable and the names and addresses of persons who have asked to be deleted are removed without delay.
16. All Registration Marks offered for sale in lists or advertisements shall have a clear indication of the cash price including VAT at which they are offered at the time of printing.
17. When a price reduction is offered, the extent of the reduction shall be made clear.
18. Members who wish to reserve the right to adjust their prices shall make this clear in their lists.
19. Customers shall be left in no doubt as to the total cost of any Registration Marks offered. In particular, members shall make it clear whether:
(a) The cost of any number plates is included in the price of any Registration Mark and, if not, what additional cost is involved.
(b) The cost of postage and packing or delivery is included and, if not, what these costs are.
20. Members fully adhere to the CONSUMER CONTRACTS (INFORMATION, CANCELLATION AND ADDITIONAL CHARGES) REGULATIONS effective from 13 June 2014. If a member does not adhere to the above see point 11.
MIRAD Stakeholder Service
If you are buying or selling and require another layer of security you can always use a Stakeholder Service.
MIRAD can do this for you.
If you are selling the MIRAD member will deposit funds to cover the full purchase price from you with the MIRAD office. You send your documents to the MIRAD office for checking and the transfer is completed correctly by the MIRAD member. The MIRAD office will oversee the transaction and when both sides are happy a payment will be made from the MIRAD office direct into a UK bank account in the name of the grantee/purchaser on the certificate or in case of a V5C the keeper of the donor vehicle (Not the nominee) We aim to complete the transaction and make a payment within 8 weeks.
If you are buying, you will deposit funds to cover the full purchase price from the MIRAD member with the MIRAD office. You send your documents to the MIRAD office and the transfer will be completed by the MIRAD member. The MIRAD office will oversee the transaction and when both sides are happy a payment will be made from the MIRAD office direct into a UK bank account of the MIRAD member. We aim to complete the transaction and make a payment within 8 weeks.
A fee of 1%, minimum £100 will be charged for this service. For larger transactions the fee is negotiable.